Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wednesday Buddy Ride

Ducked out of a meeting (alright, alright; we're moving offices, and we need to pack our stuff, I get it. Oh, and happy birthday, everyone. Okay, pep-talk over, back to work), threw on all of my clothes, and was only slightly late to today's buddy ride. There were about 12 of us, all obviously at different levels--I was at or near the front (of course) and we booked it out of Vienna all the way through Reston and Herndon to Sterling Blvd. in...Sterling. There, we made an about-face and booked it back. A good ride, and good training for riding in close proximity to other riders at high speeds (there was a core of about four of us who rode pretty close to each other--close enough that if any of us had wiped out for any reason, even the ones trailing, none of the others would've been able to dodge or even blink fast enough to avoid also crashing).

Good times! Although, since I'm such a strong rider, I should probably hold back for the team, or at least help to pull the others along, either aerodynamically by beating away the air ahead so they're traveling in my wake, or emotionally by sticking by their wheel and giving encouragement. That'd be better for a team mentality...

Not good for my own personal training, though. For that, maybe, I should use my heavier Trek 1500 and load down the tail-rack. Or maybe I can find an old steel 19" Trek 420 and use that on the training rides.

Statistics:
Distance: 21.62mi
Saddle Time: 1h17m15s
Actual Time: 1h20m
Start Time: 6:05PM
End Time: 7:25PM
Start Outside Temp: ???
End Outside Temp: ???
Max Speed: 30.0mph
Avg Speed (saddle): 16.8mph
Avg Speed (actual): 16.2mph

No comments: