Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tuesday Buddy Ride, Ah HA!

got to work ass-butt early, left 8 hours later, made it to the start-point well ahead of schedule...which was good, because I needed to go to the bathroom, so I jumped on the trail, rode the mile-point-five out to Smith's Switch Station with its portajohns, and then rode back just in-time to start riding with the rest of the group. There were seven of us, turned into eight when Mr. Garlic joined us.

I meant not to go fast, since I completely wiped myself out over the weekend and didn't do any sort of recovery...but the group kept egging me on to go faster, so I ended up practically gunning it all the way out and back.

After I was done with the main ride, I went back out and picked up my brother, who was flagging it back, which probably dropped my average speed down a bit...

Statistics:
Bike: Trek 1500
Distance: 27.26mi
Saddle Time: 1h40m29s
Actual Time: 1h50m
Start Time: 5:40PM
End Time: 7:30PM
Start Outside Temp: 50°F
End Outside Temp: ???
Max Speed: 30.2mph
Avg Speed (saddle): 16.3mph
Avg Speed (actual): 14.9mph

Afterward, we loaded both my and my brother's bikes into the car and started out for dinner--not 10 seconds after starting the car and starting to back out, I hear this loud hissing from behind me--my rear tire had finally given up the ghost, after nearly 2500 miles. After dinner I examined it and found a hole I had noticed before--apparently it had gotten worse. Oh well! I bought those new tires from Performance just in time! I swapped out the back...and then swapped out the front, too, since the old tires were 25C and the new ones are narrower 23C, and a 25C on the front and a 23C on the back just looks funny. Even if it's only a difference of 2mm, I can still tell. Oh well--now the black 25C tire on the front of the old Trek 420 has a black 25C to match on the back (both are Bontrager, even) and replace the even-funnier-looking yellow-striped 20C that was on the back before.

My "Ah HA!" moment came after I replaced the FD cable in an attempt to fix my shifting problems in the crankset--going from granny to middle ring, the chain wasn't catching, and I'd have to shift up to the big ring and then back down to get to the middle ring. Turns out, upon closer inspection after figuring out that changing the cable didn't fix things, that the last time I had broken down the drivetrain, I had installed the middle ring the wrong way, leaving the ramps and hooks that catch the chain and pull it up when shifting from small to middle ring on the wrong side of the ring, between the middle and big ring where they do no-good. "Ah HA!" I exclaimed, and fixed it--no more shifting problems =)

============================================
Team In Training - Tahoe '08
Want to donate or help? Simply go to:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntnca04/kentridestahoe
============================================

No comments: