Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wednesday Buddy Ride

Got to the parking lot to see Jeff already pulled in, wearing his VT Jersey--sweet! He said he was wearing it for this special day--and then I remembered that it was April 16th, one whole year after...it. Greg, Greg's Wife, Chuck, and a chick named "Erica" joined us shortly thereafter, and we started out West from Vienna.

We quickly divided into "A" and "B" groups, with Jeff, Chuck, and me in the "A" group. The three of us practically flew out to Smith's Switch Station in Ashburn, all the while taking turns pulling, sorta like a real paceline. With three people.

When we got back to Reston, we were joined by two other riders--one wearing all red and on a road-bike with the usual drop-bars, and the other wearing a white t-shirt and riding a time-trial bike (aero-bars w/ bar-end shifters, brake-levers on the wing-bullhorns, bottles mounted to the seat-post). These guys were fast, and on the Stretch of Suck riding up to Vienna, I was passed by both of them. Granted, I was only going about 17mph at that time, but still. When I was passed by the TT bike, I decided that I was going to keep up with him as best I could. When I looked down, I saw that the guy was holding a 19.5mph average up that stretch--incredible! The best I could do, alone, is usually 17mph (or 18mph if I'm with Fred, who is also pretty fast). Dang!

Statistics:
Bike: Trek 1500
Distance: 28.33mi
Saddle Time: 1h33m09s
Actual Time: 1h35m
Start Time: 6:15PM
End Time: 7:50PM
Start Outside Temp: ???
End Outside Temp: ???
Max Speed: 33.7mph
Avg Speed (saddle): 18.3mph!!!
Avg Speed (actual): 17.9mph

I also saw/noticed a lot more VT jerseys and shirts out on the trail today...maybe because it was today. I even saluted another rider who was wearing the same jersey I had on.

I'm also quite happy to note that I've definitely become a stronger rider--when I was just starting out, way back in late August/early September, I could manage just 13mph through the Stretch of Suck. Now I can regularly do 17mph, and tonight I topped out at 19mph. The Stretch of Suck, by the way, is a 2-mile stretch of a "false-flat"--it looks flat but it's really a mild incline, which makes it feel far harder than it looks. And granted, the 19mph was because I was drafting, but it sure feels sweet to see those numbers!

No comments: